University of Kerbol
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ROFLCopter64bit's Equations and Findings and Long Essays and other important thingos - Planet Slingshots and Mass Relays Up Next

3 posters

Go down

ROFLCopter64bit's Equations and Findings and Long Essays and other important thingos - Planet Slingshots and Mass Relays Up Next Empty ROFLCopter64bit's Equations and Findings and Long Essays and other important thingos - Planet Slingshots and Mass Relays Up Next

Post by ROFLCopter64bit Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:17 pm

Well, me being on the physics team, you all expect me to make up discover stuff that already exists is new and interesting. Now, the first thing I will be discussing is...

Atmospheric Densities at Altitudes!!

What does this mean?
This will be about my findings on the atmospheric density of planets at different altitudes and how they exponentially change.
What time is it? It's Algebraic Time!

pe = ps x e-alt / s

pe = pressure at that height
ps = pressure at sea level
alt = altitude
s = scale height
All pressure measurements are in atm and length measurements are in metres.

Anyway, stop with the boring stuff, now with the pretty pictures and lines!
ROFLCopter64bit's Equations and Findings and Long Essays and other important thingos - Planet Slingshots and Mass Relays Up Next VKaIqyc
ROFLCopter64bit's Equations and Findings and Long Essays and other important thingos - Planet Slingshots and Mass Relays Up Next W4OAvLr
ROFLCopter64bit's Equations and Findings and Long Essays and other important thingos - Planet Slingshots and Mass Relays Up Next 0ktkdCk
If you want more detail or more pretty graphs that are interactive go here replace (dot) with .
docs.google(dot)com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqfLHlyAZ_V6dEx6RW90NmxXcXM0X0lyZm8wbVBRaGc&usp=sharing

Last edited by ROFLCopter64bit on Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
ROFLCopter64bit
ROFLCopter64bit
Ensign
Ensign

Back to top Go down

ROFLCopter64bit's Equations and Findings and Long Essays and other important thingos - Planet Slingshots and Mass Relays Up Next Empty Re: ROFLCopter64bit's Equations and Findings and Long Essays and other important thingos - Planet Slingshots and Mass Relays Up Next

Post by ROFLCopter64bit Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:43 pm

Also, if you're wondering, the next topic will be on gravity slingshots then mass relays.
ROFLCopter64bit
ROFLCopter64bit
Ensign
Ensign

Back to top Go down

ROFLCopter64bit's Equations and Findings and Long Essays and other important thingos - Planet Slingshots and Mass Relays Up Next Empty Re: ROFLCopter64bit's Equations and Findings and Long Essays and other important thingos - Planet Slingshots and Mass Relays Up Next

Post by Commander Error Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:02 am

Well done. Now I can finally aerobrake without A) dying on impact with ground or B) slingshotting into interstellar space.
Commander Error
Commander Error
Commander
Commander

https://unikerbol.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by ROFLCopter64bit Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:04 pm

Commander Error wrote:Well done. Now I can finally aerobrake without A) dying on impact with ground or B) slingshotting into interstellar space.

Guess what? B) is going to happen next! Who wants some fuel saving techniques?
ROFLCopter64bit
ROFLCopter64bit
Ensign
Ensign

Back to top Go down

Post by BGraves Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:07 pm

How did you get the pressure equation? Did you just come up with it, or did you find it somewhere else?
BGraves
BGraves
Ensign
Ensign

Back to top Go down

Post by ROFLCopter64bit Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:11 pm

I would tell you how I got that equation, but I am on a phone and have no access to a computer. Anyway, as of that, I can't really tell you much about the upcoming stuff, but I can give you a preview. With the mass relay, if you only use ONE mainsail, it accelerates the object by about 200-300m/s. That was only from an experiment, and a lot more factors need to be tested to make an equation. The slingshot maneuver has been estimated to be roughly N = 2P + V, where n is new velocity, p is planet velocity and v is original velocity. I still need to toy around with the eccentricity factor.
ROFLCopter64bit
ROFLCopter64bit
Ensign
Ensign

Back to top Go down

Post by BGraves Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:32 pm

ROFLCopter64bit wrote:I would tell you how I got that equation, but I am on a phone and have no access to a computer. Anyway, as of that, I can't really tell you much about the upcoming stuff, but I can give you a preview. With the mass relay, if you only use ONE mainsail, it accelerates the object by about 200-300m/s. That was only from an experiment, and a lot more factors need to be tested to make an equation. The slingshot maneuver has been estimated to be roughly N = 2P + V, where n is new velocity, p is planet velocity and v is original velocity. I still need to toy around with the eccentricity factor.

Planet velocity means sidereal rotation velocity, I presume?
BGraves
BGraves
Ensign
Ensign

Back to top Go down

Post by ROFLCopter64bit Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:21 am

If you mean how fast the planet is orbiting Kerbol then yes.
ROFLCopter64bit
ROFLCopter64bit
Ensign
Ensign

Back to top Go down

Post by BGraves Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:08 pm

Sidereal rotation velocity means how fast the planet revolves on its axis, compared to the stars (that's what sidereal means), so not how fast it orbits around Kerbol.
BGraves
BGraves
Ensign
Ensign

Back to top Go down

Post by ROFLCopter64bit Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:10 pm

Oh. No then, how fast the planet is orbiting Kerbol.
ROFLCopter64bit
ROFLCopter64bit
Ensign
Ensign

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down